University students discusses election results

Joan Crinion

The results of the election were unarguably the most shocking that I have seen during my lifetime or even looking back to other tightly contested elections. I think a lot of the difficultly people who are fearful about the outcome are having with these results is that the candidate has alienated a lot of the electorate.

In the upcoming days we as a country need to come together, but in a lot of ways that cannot happen without first healing. At the time I am writing this Clinton is winning the popular vote with only a slight margin.

This means that the country is so deeply divided that the divide might not be able to be healed, and there are a lot of Americans who are genuinely worried about their friends and family after hearing the results.
Following the results of this election most people, including President Barack Obama, have called for the American people to accept the results and have respect for the president-elect.

I would like to be one of those people that follow voice of the people and accept Trump as our next president. I believe that a lot of people are struggling with this concept. We want to believe that Trump will help to bring jobs back to the United States and end conflicts abroad.

For a lot of people, they do not feel like they just lost an election but like they lost their hope for progress and are struggling with a presidency that might take their rights away. I believe that the only way to quell the fears and protests that have already arisen is for the president-elect to clarify many of his policies.

Trump needs to reach out to the millions of minorities that he insulted throughout the campaign and let them know that he will be their president. Regardless of whom you voted for in this election I call on people to have some compassion and empathy for others. The next four years are going to be hard for a lot of people. We as a student population have to recognize that the fear people have for the upcoming days is real.

We need to take the next few years to reflect on what kind of a country we want to have. While I do not believe that the majority of Trump supporters are racists, sexists, or homophobes, I believe that these results were troubling for those who see those values arising.

I call on everyone of both parties to keep an eye on our government. Trump cannot get anything passed without Congresses support. We must let our leaders know that racist and sexist values are not the American people.

For now, we wait and allow President-elect Trump to be the voice of the people, but as soon as that voice goes against our values we need to be louder.
Finally, I call on people to get more involved in the political process. This victory proves that the establishment leaders are out of touch with a large segment of the American population. In future elections it is obvious that we need to listen to each other more.

I will continue to fight for the rights of POC, LGBTQ+ people, women and people with disabilities. No one can take that away from us, and it is up to us to prove that those values are still valued in this nation.

One Response to University students discusses election results

1. Emeline Reply

November 19, 2016 at 10:53 pm

You Sir/Madam are the enemy of confusion evehewrery!