The University has started work on its newest renovation. The Estate and its grounds and the area where the old Loyola Science Center was will be getting a major overhaul.
Since the Estate is not hiding behind a building anymore, The University is taking advantage of this opportunity and sprucing up the building. There will also be a new bluestone terrace in the grounds directly in front of the Estate. The renovation also plans to restore some of the historic elements of the Estate.
The Estate was originally a three-story, 25-room family residence. Joseph Scranton, who represented Pennsylvania in the U.S. House of Representatives for four terms, commissioned N.Y. architect Russell Sturgis to build a family residence for Scranton’s family in 1867. There is a sign in front of the Lackawanna Historical Society about Joseph Scranton, who is the cousin to the founder of the city of Scranton, George Whitfield Scranton. Joseph Scranton died in the summer of 1872.
The house features a Tiffany glass skylight and woodwork carvings designed by William Paris. The house initially featured a tower, which was later removed, and two open porches, which have since been enclosed.
The Scranton family lived in the residence until 1941. In December 1941, Worthington Scranton donated the historic and stately home to Bishop William J. Hafey for use by The University.
The renovation will also include the completion of a large greenspace. It will feature a contemplation walkway from Monroe Avenue to the Estate and to Alumni Memorial Hall. This pathway will be made to match the design of the rest of the pathways across campus.
The sketch for the plans date September 2016, making this project long overdue. If there are no delays, the project is expected to finish this August.