Athlete Spotlight: Keller McGurrin

Photo courtesy of Scranton Athletics
JUNIOR KELLER McGurrin was named The University’s Athlete of the Week for winning his singles and doubles matches in the Landmark Conference season opener against Elizabethtown College on Saturday. The Royals won the competition 8-1.

Luke Kropp

Sports Co-Editor

Junior tennis player Keller McGurrin earned victories in his singles and doubles matches in an 8-1 win over Elizabethtown College on Saturday, earning him the honor of being The University’s Athlete of the Week.

McGurrin and his partner, sophomore Alexander Ochalski, started the day with a 8-1 doubles victory in the first spot. McGurrin then rolled to a 6-4, 6-0 victory in the first spot of singles play.

The Royal’s strong play helped the men’s tennis team put on a dominant performance in the Landmark Conference season opener. McGurrin is now 4-5 in singles while he and Ochalski are 4-2 in doubles on the season.

McGurrin is both a two-time letterwinner and All-Landmark Conference selection and hopes to repeat again. He and the Royals are back in action at Goucher College on Saturday at 1 p.m.

When and how did you start playing tennis?

I started playing when I was around 8 years old. My brothers and I played a lot. Two of my older brothers went here. I really started getting into it my freshman year of high school, and I worked as hard as I could so I could play in college.

Who’s been your biggest mentor?

Probably my older brother Tim. He was an Academic All-American here, and he really showed me what it took to be a good player as well as a good student here at The University.

Do you have a tennis-playing idol?

Probably just Roger Federer based on his demeanor on the court as well as how successful he is in all of his endeavors.

What do you hope to accomplish this season?

I hope to make First Team (All-Conference) for singles or double as well as win the championship with my team. Anything else, I think, would be disappointing.

What are your career goals at The University?

I guess just finish with a positive win-loss record as well as just enjoy the time with my teammates and make as much of a lasting impact as I can on the program.

Any advice for the younger guys?

Keep working hard. It will definitely come. I know my first two years were a little rough, but once you get in the swing of things you should be better in the long run.

What are your plans for after college?

Well, I’m currently attaining my MBA and I’m planning on going to law school. For tennis, I’ll play in a couple leagues. I know they have a lot of USTA (United States Tennis Association) leagues that you can join. It’s a lifelong sport, so I hope to play as long as I can.

Want to write for the sports section? Email the editors: jillian.wall@scranton.edu, luke.kropp@scranton.edu