Softball coach earns 100th win

JILL WALL

SPORTS CO-EDITOR

Head softball coach Mia Collarini Wascura earned her 100th career win at The University in just her sixth season here.

Collarini Wascura, a 2011 graduate of The University, has already secured two 20-or-more win seasons, three winning seasons, two Landmark Conference tournament appearances, the title of Scranton softball’s winningest coach and now 100 career wins.

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS
SOFTBALL HEAD coach Mia Collarini Wascura notched her 100th career win in a 3-1 victory over Wilkes University April 18.

Collarini Wascura has been a major force in The University’s softball program since she came to play at The University in 2007, earning a number of awards and titles in her four years in the program.  She was a two-time all-Landmark Conference selection, a 2008 first-team South region selection in Scranton’s previous affiliation with the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC), she finished her career as the Royals’ all-time leader in walks (66), third in at-bats (405) and doubles (28), fifth in hits (125) and triples (10), and sixth in sacrifices (11). She also served as team captain in 2011 and batted .309 for her career, including a .401 average in 2008.

The University recently made the coaching position a full-time job, making Collarini Wascura the first full-time hire.

“This is my full-time job and we’re very fortunate the University of Scranton allows that because many coaches, even around the area aren’t full time, so I’m grateful for that,” Collarini Wascura said.

Collarini Wascura, who actually began coaching while she was still in college by finding time in her busy schedule to coach local middle and high school teams, stated that becoming a coach was something that was always in the picture for her.

“In my heart of hearts I think it had always been something in the back of my mind growing up. I got my undergraduate degree here, I was a history and counseling double major so I knew I wanted to be in the school system and I knew I eventually wanted to get into coaching. I didn’t think it would happen this quickly, and I’m forever grateful. I couldn’t picture myself doing anything else,” Collarini Wascura said.

She entered the 2017 season with 87 career victories already under her belt, but was not focused on reaching the 100-win milestone.

“I knew the 100 wins were close, but I wasn’t paying attention. That’s not my main focus. My main focus is winning games. They announced that I was the winningest coach in the program after my 99th win, and I really had no idea about that, so that was a great honor to have too. The honors are nice, but we don’t go out there to get the honors, we go out there to win the games,” Collarini Wascura said.

While she is proud of being able to achieve such a milestone, especially at such a young age, she gives credit not to herself, but to her players who have made it possible for her to accomplish such a task.

“I really can’t take the credit. I’m grateful that people are recognizing this honor, but it’s the character driven student athletes that I’m recruiting. Not only are they good student athletes, they’re character driven, that’s what I’m recruiting, I want good people who are good teammates who care about each other,” Collarini Wascura said.

She is also extremely grateful to her family, and her dad in particular, for the support and coaching they have provided her with throughout her entire career.

“My husband, my father, my mother, my grammy, they’re at every home game—they don’t miss, it’s like a family event. It’s really cool because I’m very well supported, as are the girls,” Collarini Wascura said. “My father was my first coach. He’s always been the drive behind much of my success as a player here and as a coach. I bounce everything off of him, and I’ve had many coaches but my number one is my father who’s taught me about everything about everything in the game.”

Collarini Wascura looks forward to the rest of her career as a coach, and hopes to be able to earn another hundred wins or so by the time she is done, but for now is only focused on the games ahead of her. She hopes to finish out the season strong and help her team accomplish great things.