Athlete Spotlight: Bobby Hegarty

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS
ROYAL’S PITCHER Bobby Hegarty threw a four-hit shutout in a 4-0 victory at Moravian College on Saturday. It was the first-year right-hander’s first career shutout and second career victory.

Jill Wall

Sports Co-Editor

First-year pitcher Bobby Hegarty of the baseball team threw a four-hit shutout Saturday against Moravian College, earning him the coveted title of Athlete of the Week.

The victory marked Hegarty’s first career shutout and second career win. He did not give up any walks in Saturday’s game and has only allowed one run on 13 hits in his last three appearances on the mound.

Hegarty is 2-3 on the season, having pitched two complete games and made appearances in nine games spanning 29 1/3 innings.

The Royals are back in action 1 p.m. Saturday against Juniata College.

Q: How and when did you start playing baseball?

A: Growing up I pretty much tried all the sports at an early age, but I’d say around six or seven is when I really fell in love with it. I’ve been pitching since they first let us and I haven’t looked back.

Q: Why did you choose to come and play at The University?

A: To be honest I didn’t even know if I wanted to play in college or not. I committed to Scranton before I even thought of playing baseball here, I just liked the program I was going to be in and liked the school. Once I started my high school season though, I knew that I wanted to continue playing and started emailing coach Bartoletti. He told me to come and try out and that’s exactly what I did and thank God he saw it fit for me to be on the team.

Q: Who has been your biggest role model/ influence in your baseball career?

A: Definitely my father. He has always been there for me through good games and bad and despite his tough schedule has seen me pitch pretty much every game I ever have started.

Q: Do you have a favorite major league team/player?

A: Growing up on Long Island, (N.Y.), my favorite team is without a doubt the New York Mets. Ever since I started watching baseball in about 2005 I couldn’t get enough of them. Even though it has been a heartbreaking experience I still love being a Met fan.

Q: Do you have any specific pre-game rituals?

A: To be honest I don’t really have any pregame rituals. It never takes me too long to get warmed up so I usually just spend most of the time talking nonsense with the guys until I have to start getting my arm warm.

Q: What do you hope to accomplish in the rest of your baseball career at The University?

A: My one goal for baseball here is pretty simple, to win the Landmark. That’s why we work so hard during the offseason and regular season. I hope that I can help contribute to this team winning one or more championships.