Athlete Spotlight: Kyle Robbins

Photo courtesy of Scranton Athletics
SENIOR KYLE Robbins scored the first five points of his career last weekend. The defenseman netted two penalty kicks and earned one assist in two season-opening victories.

Luke Kropp

Senior defenseman Kyle Robbins scored the first points of his career as he lead the men’s soccer team to two season-opening victories last weekend.

Robbins notched five points on two goals and one assist, making him The University’s first Athlete of the Week of the school year.

The biology major scored the game-winning goal on a 73rd-minute penalty kick to lift the Royals over Centenary University, 3-1, on Friday. Robbins connected on a long assist to senior Connor Casey and netted another penalty kick in a 3-1 win over Allegheny College the following night.

It may not be noticeable from the stat sheet, but Robbins also played solid defense in the winning efforts as he has done his whole career.

The Royals (3-0) travel to take on State University of New York at Cortland on Saturday at 1 p.m.

Q: How did you and the Royals get it done this weekend?

A: We were all pretty excited to get out there. We had two tough weeks of preseason, so it just came down to us taking what we learned from coach implementing the game plans into each game, and then we found a way to grind out some results there. So they were two good wins.

Q: How does it feel to score your first college points?

A: It was great. There’s been a lot of close calls for me scoring the past three years. I’ve hit the post a bunch of times. It was nice to see some finally go in the net. And that was my first assist, too, so it was great to see some points on the board.

Q: How did you start playing soccer?

A: My dad put me in a pair of cleats when i was like 3 years old. He played growing up. My mom played in college too. My whole family just kind of grew up playing soccer.

Q: Who has been your biggest supporter?

A: Definitely my family. My mom, dad, brother and sister have been there through the whole thing whether we’re supporting each other, helping each other get better. And then obviously my teammates, my coaches all along the way have been great doing everything they can to get better.

Q: Who is your soccer idol/role model?

A: My favorite team is Chelsea, so my favorite player is John Terry. He was a captain for England for a long time. Just his passion and his love for the game, you can really feel it when you watch him play.

Q: Do you have any pregame rituals or superstitions?

A: No. If not believing in superstitions is a superstition then that’s mine.

Q: What is your favorite pump-up music?

A: I like to listen to John Mayer. Everyone’s always trying to get pumped up before a game, but I need to just relax a little bit.

Q: What do you hope to accomplish this season?

A: Ideally, get to that Landmark Conference championship again, and then once we’re in that game anything can happen and we know that we’ll do the best we can to bring that third championship.

Q: Which game are you looking forward to the most?

A: This Saturday we’re going to Cortland St., and they knocked us out of the tournament in the second round last year. So that will be a good rubber match if you will to see what we can do with the new guys against them again.

Q: What is your favorite soccer memory?

A: Sophomore year’s conference championship game. We scored two goals in 23 seconds against the No. 6 team in the country to win that conference tournament, so that was pretty cool.