Volleyball players reach career milestones

Photo courtesy of Scranton Athletics.
SENIOR MORGAN Rentzheimer focuses on the play to come as her teammate serves the ball.

KATHERINE MCVEAGH

The University’s women’s volleyball team has been off to a blazing start thus far. Defeating the previous record start of 10-0 by the 1978 Lady Royals, the 2017 squad fought their way to 12-0. Leading the way to this milestone season are Junior Kristin Kirwan and Senior Morgan Rentzheimer, who have reached milestones of their own this past week.

Kirwan recorded her 1,000 career kill on Wednesday Sept. 13 at SUNY Cortland, while Rentzheimer notched her 1,000 career dig on Saturday Sept. 16 at Muhlenberg College.

The exact 1,000 dig came as a surprise, but it was quite a moment for Rentzheimer and the entire team to enjoy.

“I honestly didn’t even know at what point in the game I was going to get it and I was happy that we scored the point off of it! It was nice to have teammates who were so excited about it,” Rentzheimer said.

Kirwan had a similar experience.

“I honestly didn’t know it what was happening, but it was rewarding to see how happy my teammates got for me. I could tell by the cheering it was more than a normal kill, and not knowing made it more exciting,” Kirwan said.

Rentzheimer and Kirwan credit their teammates for being the driving force to achieving these accomplishments.

“The biggest factor for reaching this milestone was my teammates because we all support each other in times of success and failure,” Rentzheimer said.

“My teammates pushing and challenging me helped me improve more than anything,” Kirwan said.

This supportive team aims to keep up the success throughout the season, as conference play is just around the corner.

“I think our biggest strength is that we have composure in times of adversity throughout matches which helps us avoid the other team getting long rallies and also allows us to come back no matter how behind we are,” Rentzheimer said.

“Our biggest challenge will be keeping up this mentality against teams like Juniata and Susquehanna which has been a struggle for us in the past,” Kirwan said.

Kirwan echoed Rentzheimer’s feelings regarding the top two Landmark teams.

“They will be the biggest challenge. If we can beat them, the early successes will be more meaningful,” Kirwan said.

Before they can take on conference competitors next weekend, the Lady Royals host John Jay University and local rival Marywood University in consecutive matches on Saturday in the University’s John Long Center.