Forgiving Sean Spicer

JOAN CRINION

Many were surprised last Sunday night when ex-press secretary Sean Spicer was wheeled out onto the Emmy stage by host Stephen Colbert. There were varying opinions of this move from both conservatives and liberals alike.

Much of the controversy having to do with Stephen Colbert’s past criticism of the Trump administration, and even Sean Spicer himself. Before the Emmy’s, Jimmy Kimmel had Spicer as a guest on his show, and before the awards, Kimmel also had Colbert as a guest.

In Colbert’s appearance on Kimmel’s show he seems to be the one not wanting to give Spicer forgiveness. The exchange on Kimmel’s show started when he said, “a certain part of me felt sorry for [Spicer].” Colbert responded to Kimmel, “Really? He wants to be forgiven but he won’t regret anything he did. You gotta regret something you did to be forgiven” (Vulture).

Kimmel attempts to give another side of the argument saying that Spicer might not publically apologize because he fears Trump’s reaction. In classic Colbert fashion he responds that we should then privately forgive Spicer.

I agree with Colbert’s original statement because it is the only way any “forgiveness” can happen because right now he does not acknowledge doing anything wrong. I feel like that news today moves so quickly with each mind-blowingly nonsensical story to the next that it is easy to forget the actions that individuals have done in Trump’s name. But this is also a man who called concentration camps “Holocaust centers,” and denied that Hitler used chemical weapons.

Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

I understand why many might feel that it is not such a huge deal or that it is his job, but does that really excuse his behavior. The media’s embrace treatment of Trump administration alums does not just stop at Spicer. Scaramucci, “The Mooch,” was invited on TMZ Live and The View, to “dish” on his time in the administration.

This makes me question where is the line of which administration members are allowed to pretend they did nothing wrong in the future. As the people working for Trump get fired, who will be viewed positively, and who will be shunned?

In my opinion, the media is treating the Trump administration just as much a reality television show as they treated the campaign. The media feels that this is the resolution to Sean Spicer’s redemption story arch, but redemption comes at a cost.  I am disappointed in Colbert for allowing the joke to occur. The “do as I say not as I do policy,” is seen a lot in media, but I personally accepted more of Stephen Colbert.