Athlete Spotlight: Kindler Norman

Photo Courtesy of Scranton Athletics.
FIRST-YEAR setter Kindler Norman readies herself to set the ball for a teammate to spike in a Sept. 23 game against Keystone College. Norman helped the Royals win 3-0.

KATHERINE MCVEAGH

First-year setter Kindler Norman has kicked off an excellent first year campaign for the women’s volleyball team. Last week she recorded 65 assists in two matches, helping the Royals come out victorious both times. So far this season, Norman has averaged 10 assists per set and 512 assists overall.

Q: How does it feel to be named Athlete of the Week?
A: It’s very exciting to be named athlete of the week. Scranton has so many talented athletes, so I am honored and humbled that I was chosen!

Q: How long have you been playing volleyball?
A: I have been playing volleyball since the 6th grade, so I have been playing for 8 years now!

Q: When did you know you wanted to play at the collegiate level?
A: My older sister, Kaitlin, was a senior in high school at that time, and she was going to play volleyball in college. Since I looked up to her so much, I knew I had to follow in her footsteps. I have wanted to play at the collegiate level since 6th grade.

Q: Who has been the biggest inspiration in your volleyball career?
A: Definitely Kaitlin. Since she was so much older than me, I was exposed to volleyball when I was really young. We would always pepper together, and she would teach me things while we were playing. She taught me how to work hard and be tough. I get so nervous playing in front of her because she is the person I want to impress the most!

Q: Do you have any pre-match rituals or superstitions?
A: I am not a very superstitious person. I don’t think rituals determine whether you win or not, just how hard you work!”

Q: What are your thoughts on your team’s success and your personal success to start this season?
A: The team is doing really well this year. We have a lot of chemistry on and off the court. Our defense has been working really hard to set us up with good offensive opportunities, and our hitters have been taking advantage of those opportunities. We have so many leaders on our team who push us to improve and work hard which creates a really competitive environment in games and in practices. I wouldn’t be successful if I did not have such a stellar team to work with, so I have to thank them for all of my success! I couldn’t do it without them. They make my job easy!”

A: The team has several goals ranging from a 3.4 GPA, .7 ratio of serving errors to serving aces, being mentally tough and confident, and 31 season wins. Personally, my goal for this season is 1000 assists.”

Q: What match are you looking forward to the most?
A: The match I am looking forward to the most this year is the Elizabethtown match. I found Scranton through my high school coaches who actually played volleyball at Pitt with Coach Spangler. My high school coaches are actually now the coaches at Elizabethtown, so I am looking forward to seeing them and playing against the coaches that I played for in high school!”