Athlete Spotlight: Hannah DeMars

Photo courtesy of Scranton Athletics.
SENIOR DEFENDER Hannah DeMars helped the Royals to two shutout victories on the path to a Landmark Conference championship title.

JILL WALL
Sports Editor

After helping the women’s soccer team capture back-to-back Landmark Conference championship titles, senior Hannah DeMars has been named The University’sAthlete of the Week.

DeMars, who dropped to the backline her senior year after playing three years as a center midfielder, helped the team to two shutout victories along the way to a shutout victory against Susquehanna University.

DeMars, who is now a two-time University Athlete of the Week, was also named the Landmark Conference Defensive Player of the Week twice in October, back-to-back.

DeMars and the fellow Royals look to continue their winning streak in the first round of the NCAA Tournament against Rowan University 2 p.m. Saturday at Messiah College.

Q: Can you give a summary of what this season has been like for you so far?
A: Going into this season we were the defending Landmark Conference champions so we obviously wanted to do that again, and on Saturday we were able to accomplish that goal. But we had a really hard September schedule and that helped prepare us for our conference schedule and we were able to go 9-0 in conference, so that was really good. Now we are just looking to win our first round in the NCAA tournament and go from there.

Q: How does it feel to be named Athlete of the Week for a second time?
A: It always feels good. I was not really expecting it. I’m usually a center midfielder and this season I dropped back to a center back so I’ve just been doing my best back there. Anything that comes to me is great but just getting the wins is most important, but getting recognized is nice too.

Q: Do you have any pregame rituals or superstitions?
A: Our team is so superstitious. I listen to the same two songs walking down to the field. Blood on the Leaves by Kanye West and Desire which was in the movie “We Are Your Friends.”

Q: What do you hope to accomplish in the NCAA tournament?
A: Just being a senior, playing as many games as you can is [what’s important.] So obviously when you lose a game in the NCAA tournament you’re out, but we are looking to get our first win on Saturday and then hopefully to play again on Sunday, so we’re just looking to go as far as we can, that would be good.

Q: Who has been your biggest supporter throughout your career?
A: Definitely my parents and my grandparents. My parents took me to every single game when I was younger and my grandparents have come to every single game to support me through everything.

Q: Do you have a soccer role model?

A: My favorite professional player who I’ve looked up to is Carli Lloyd on the national team. She is a center midfielder and she’s from New Jersey and I just think she’s awesome.