Athlete Spotlight: Colleen Berry

Photo courtesy of Scranton Athletics.
JUNIOR GOALKEEPER Colleen Berry recorded 12 saves in the Royals’ victory over Rowan University and recorded 9 saves in the team’s loss against Messiah College.

KATHERINE MCVEAGH

Junior goalkeeper Colleen Berry was named the University’s Athlete of the Week after a stellar weekend to cap off a phenomenal season. Berry made 21 saves in the Lady Royals’ two-game NCAA campaign. Making 12 saves in the first game against #25 Rowan University, Berry backed the Lady Royals to a 2-0 shutout, despite being outshot 20-3. Against 10th-ranked Messiah College, Berry only allowed one goal, giving the Lady Royals a chance the entire game, though they were outshot 24-2 for a final score of 0-1. This weekend was an excellent ending for Berry, as she made a variety of marks this season. Earning First Team all Landmark Conference, Berry only allowed 14 goals in 21 matches.  She garnered a 0.64 goals-against average and an .887 save percentage. Her 13 shutouts this season are tied for fourth-most in a single season in program history. Her 110 saves and .887 save percentage are each tied for fifth and her 0.64 goals-against average is the eighth-best.

Q: How does it feel to be named athlete of the week?
A: It’s an honor to be recognized as athlete as week but I definitely would not have been as successful if I didn’t have the support of the 10 other players on the field with me. This weekend we faced two extremely powerful teams and everyone gave it all in both games which helped me play at my best as well.

Q: Who have you looked up to/idolized throughout your soccer career?
A: Throughout my soccer career I’ve looked up to the players who I had the chance to play with. Both in high school and my first two years here, I looked up to the goalies who played before me and tried to learn from them. I watched them during practice and tried my best to work just as hard as they did. The past two years, Krissy Welsh and Dani Maurice helped me grow as both a person and an athlete and I couldn’t thank them enough.

Q: Who has been the most influential person in your years playing soccer?
A: There are a few people who have really influenced my career as an athlete. I played softball as a little kid and my club coach was one of the most influential coaches I’ve ever had the chance to play for. He taught me how to be a team player and shaped me into the athlete I am today. My high school goalie coach also had a huge impact on my soccer career and still today reaches out to me before big games to wish me luck. The many coaches I’ve had throughout my career all helped me reach my potential and made me the best athlete I could be.

Q: Do you have any pre-game rituals?
A: I am extremely superstitious and I think a lot of people on my team realized that this year, so every game day contained a lot of rituals that would take me forever to explain each. To summarize some of these rituals, I wore the same thing to the locker room, I ate the same breakfast and power bar before each game. In the locker room, I systematically put my shin guards and cleats on and sat on the same bench. During warm-ups, I did the exact same stretching, running and ball handling every single time. Right before the game starts, I do a few jumps in the box and readjust my gloves.

Q: How would you describe this past season?
A: This past season was one of the most fun and exciting seasons I’ve had the chance to play in. We all worked so well together and I always enjoyed going to practice. We worked so hard and it really paid off in the end. I became even closer with all my teammates and I enjoyed all the experiences that come with being a member of a team at Scranton.

Q: What was your most memorable part of this season?
A: The most memorable part of this season was winning the Landmark. Getting to be on the field and contribute this year was an amazing experience.

Q: What do you look forward to for your senior season?
A: It would be amazing to win the Landmark as a senior and I hope that we come back next season as strong as we finished this season. Definitely not looking forward to the fitness tests but I’m excited to be able to play on the new facilities next year!