Eagles pride flies through Scranton

LAUREN GALLAGHER
Managing Editor

University students showed their support for the Philadelphia Eagles by celebrating their Super Bowl victory on and off campus Sunday night.

Students gathered in celebration on Clay Avenue and mobbed the front lawns of off-campus houses. Chants such as “Fly Eagles Fly,” “E! A! G! L! E! S! Eagles!” and celebratory screams could be heard from all around campus.

Sophomore Kerry McMonagle shared her excitement about The University’s support for her beloved football team.

Photo Courtesy of Twitter / Rev. Rick Malloy, S.J.  AFTER THE Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl victory, Rev. Rick Malloy, S.J., tweeted a photo of students celebrating by playing football on the Dionne Green Sunday night.

“It was nothing I’ve ever seen before in my entire life. Everyone went crazy. It was a sight to see. Honestly I will remember this for the rest of my life and will certainly tell my kids about this. Best feeling in the world. GO BIRDS!!” McMonagle said.

At 9:57 p.m. Sunday Rev. Rick Malloy, S.J., tweeted a photo of other University students playing football on the Dionne Green in honor of the win as well.

Senior Kaitlin Zimmermann was able to witness the excitement from her Montrone Hall apartment window.

“Even though I’m not a huge football fan, it was really cool to see Scranton students running out of their off campus houses jumping in the snow to celebrate,” Zimmermann said, “I almost wish I was a part of the big snow ball fight on Clay.”

Whether it was the Dionne Greene, Clay Ave., Montrone Hall or even Goodfellas Bar, Eagles pride surged through campus. Students were decked out in their favorite team’s attire all this week and some even made their way to the parade in Philadelphia.

“I’m not even from Philly and I was so excited wacthing this game,” senior Angela Dory said. “Seeing my friend’s snapchats from the parade made me so jealous. I’m glad the underdog won this Superbowl.”