Intersession Athletes of the Week

LIAM SHEA

STAFF WRITER

DAN D’AGOSTINI: November 26- December 2

Dan D’Agostini is a Senior on the Scranton Wrestling team and competes at the 197 pound weight class. D’Agostini has 13 career pins and came into this season ranked 8th for most wins in team history.

Personal accomplishments: I’ve been having a pretty successful season so far. Currently I have a season record of 26-2. and a career record of 95-29. 100 wins is seen as the “you made it” mark in wrestling, so I am hoping to reach that milestone. But more importantly the goal is to All-American and I think I have a very good shot at doing that this year!

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS

Pregame rituals: It honestly varies for me, I’m not big on doing everything the exact same way before every match. The only important thing is to make sure you are mentally and physically confident in your own abilities to compete before stepping out onto the mat, otherwise why do it? Before dual meets I usually just focus on how blessed I am to have this specific opportunity to wrestle and represent myself, my family, team and the University.

Favorite memory wrestling at Scranton: I have two, the first was my sophomore year, when I pinned SUNY Oneonta’s 184lb wrestler to secure the team win and win us the Electric City Duals Championship. But even better than that was our team win against Wilkes University last year. It was the first time we beat them in the entirety of Coach Al’s career at the U, and although the entire team wrestled hard, it came down to the wire and our heavyweight, my good friend Keegan Connelly, sealed the team win with a huge pin! We went wild!

MATTHEW MANCUSO: December 3-9

Matthew Mancuso is a forward for the Men’s basketball team. The Junior stands at 6’7” and averages 15.8 points per game. Mancuso is shooting 37.5% from the 3 along with 9 rebounds and 2.5 assists per games. The Royals are currently 16-3.

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS

Season so far: The season has been going great overall. We’ve hit a few bumps in the road but all together we’ve had a strong season.

Pregame rituals: One thing I do before every game is go to the trainers with my teammate Logan Bailey.

Favorite memory playing at Scranton: My favorite memory playing basketball at Scranton was playing in the Landmark Conference Championship game at home my freshman year.

Professional athlete role models: Pros I look up to are LeBron James, Ray Lewis and Aaron Judge.

MAKENZIE MASON: December 10-16

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS

Makenzie Mason is a Junior guard for the Scranton Lady Royals. She stands at 5’11” and currently averages 13.6 points per game shooting an efficient 44.2% from 3. Makenzie also contributes with 7.6 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game.

Season so far: The season has been going great so far! We’re 18-0 and we’re playing really strong as a team. In the beginning of the season we didn’t really know what would come of it. We now know that every game we play is the other team’s “super bowl”. Meaning, that when they play us it is their biggest game of their season. We know that teams feel as is they have nothing to lose against us, just because we have that 3rd in the country ranking. Overall, we are really enjoying how the season is going and we are hunting the Landmark Conference Trophy at the end of the regular season.

Favorite memory playing at Scranton: My favorite memory playing basketball at Scranton was when we beat Juniata in overtime in the Landmark Conference Final at home last year (2017-2018 season). It wasn’t an easy win which made winning even sweeter and more deserving.

Plans after Scranton: My plans after Scranton are to get my Master’s degree in occupational therapy. I also plan on being a Graduate Assistant for the team during my fifth year.

KEEGAN CONNELLY: December 17-January 6

Keegan Connelly is a Junior on the Scranton Wrestling team. He competes at the 285 pound weight class and has finished top four in 6 tournaments. Connelly has 8 career pins.

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS

Personal accomplishments: Personally, I’d say placing 5th at the Wilkes Open is my biggest accomplishment this semester. I’ve placed in other tournaments this year and all throughout college, but this one was different in that I faced some D1 competitors and held my own against them. It shows that while there is definitely a gap in dedication and training between D3 and D1 programs that, at the end of the day, wrestling is still wrestling.

Pregame ritualsMy pregame rituals include warming up with my drill partners and not getting too nervous for my matches. Despite being in the sport for 7 years now, I can still never fully shake out all the nervousness in my system before stepping on the mat. It’s all about hiding it and being confident in yourself.

Professional athlete role models: Some pro athletes I look up to are Stipe Miocic, Conor Mcgregor, Henry Cejudo, Tyson Fury, Andrew Gombas and Danny O’Neil.

Plans after Scranton: My plans after college are to join the PA State Police and continue training in some way whether it be lifting, ju-jitsu or boxing.