This Week In Aquinas History
By Kelsey Wynn | Editor in Chief
SCRANTON — The University of Scranton Archives and Helen Gallagher McHugh Special Collections at the Weinberg Memorial Library maintains a database of collected and preserved documents, publications, photographs, books and other material it deems of historical value.
The archives offer digitized portable document formats (pdf) of The Aquinas, with the earliest available edition of the publication dated June 1919. The issue served as the Class of 1919’s yearbook under the University’s former name, St. Thomas College. The University adopted its current name in 1938.
Sixty years ago, then Editor in Chief John P. Barrett published Volume 31, Issue 17 of The Aquinas, a four-page periodical featuring University news, sports, clubs and features, among other topics. The first page headline, “Stanley wins first event,” details English student Luke Shanley’s honors title capture in the First Annual Freshman Oratorical Contest after “launching a tirade against racial discrimination.”
Visit The University of Scranton Archives and Helen Gallagher McHugh Special Collections online to access this issue of The Aquinas along with all other available digitized versions.